Continued from Tony Perez's Electronic Diary (May 15 - October 19, 2018) at tonyperezphilippinescyberspacebook40.blogspot.com.

At Highest Point, Kiangan, Benguet

At Highest Point, Kiangan, Benguet
2013, at Highest Point, Kiangan, Benguet, during the conservation project for the Kabayan Mummy Caves. Funded by the Ambassador's Fund for Cultural Preservation, the National Commission for Culture and the Arts, and the National Museum of the Philippines. Photo by JR Dalisay

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

I worry about my children and my grandchildren too much. My younger son Chito sent me a Messenger message the evening of December 25 that read, "Have a happy christmas papa..i have work tonight.." I am certain that he meant it as a mere greeting but, being a creative writer, I tended to overread between the lines: Was the message a show of bravery? Was he proud to tell me that he was working on the night of Christmas? Was he unhappy about it, considering that he was wishing me a happy Christmas as opposed to a merry one?

Many years ago he would keep me apprised of his personal problems and problems at work via text-messaging. I'd drop everything, give him advice, and proffer an entire list of solutions. Then he'd be surprised at my messages and reply that he was okay, text-messaging, "Pinapaalam ko lang po sa inyo kung ano'ng nangyayari sa buhay ko." I could never understand that line.

Looking back now, I think that the lesson for me as a parent was to allow my children (and grandchildren) to solve their problems on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment